This article relates to a legacy version of Sitemason. If you are looking for the Sitemason 6 version of this article, please visit here.
Learn how to share control of entire sites or sections of sites with other Sitemason users within your organization.
There are four steps to sharing a site:
- Activate your User Manger tab if it is not already. You can do this by turn this option on by clicking the "User Preferences" link at the top of the page in Sitemason.
- In the User Manager, create an Editor Group for the user or users with whom you would like to share the tool and add Editors (Sitemason Users) to that group. (You must know the Sitemason username - not the password - of the other people with whom you want to share your tools)
- Share the site with your Editor Group from the Site Builder's "Share This Site" tab.
- When the recipient of your shared tool logs into Sitemason, your shared site and all of its contents will automatically appear in his/her Site Manager in a special green-colored shared site group. The recipient can click on any of the tools or the Site Builder to manage them.
1) Using the User Manager
The User Manager can be accessed by clicking on the User Manager tab, which is the blue tab directly to the right of the Site Manager tab on the main screen. If the User Manager tab is not available, you may need to turn that option on in your User Preferences.
Users within the User Manager are organized into two groups: User Groups and Editor Groups. A User Group is for web-based users who you might allow to log into password-protected sections of your website. An Editor Group is for Sitemason users who will manage your website. For sharing control of a tool, you will use an Editor Group.
Adding an Editor Group
If a suitable Editor Group does not exist, add one by clicking "Add an Editor Group" and entering a name for the new Editor Group. Keep in mind that you share the tools with an Editor Group, not an Editor directly, so if the appropriate group already exists, you need not add another one.
Adding an Editor
Once you have created (or found) the appropriate Editor Group, click the "Add an Editor" button in that group and enter the Sitemason username of the recipient in the resulting window. Sitemason will show an error if the username is mistyped or doesn't exist. You can add more editors to the group, if needed.
When you have finished adding users (Editors) to your Editor Group, click on the Site Manager tab to view your tools again.
2) Sharing a Site with an Editor Group
To share a site, enter the Site Builder of the site that you wish to share, then click on the "Share this Site" tab. Once on the "Share this Site" tab, select an Editor Group from the pull-down menu, which will share the site in question with that Editor Group. Additionally, you must select the tabs and features that you wish to share. Once you have finished, click any other tab or click the "Save Changes and Go Back" button.
At this point you have shared the Site Builder with an Editor Group (containing one or more Editors). Next we'll show you how the Editors can access your shared site.
3) Using a Site that has been Shared with You
As the recipient of a shared site, the site will automatically appear in your account in a green folder in your Site Manager, signifying that it is a Shared Site Builder. Simply click on the site's label to enter the Site Builder, or click on any of its contained tools to enter and edit other pages within the shared site.